Careers at Maginatics
If this sounds like it's up your alley, we would love to hear from you at
Alternatively, you can also apply via LinkedIn below:
We are looking for smart, hands-on developers with a strong background in mobile platforms (iOS, Android), UI, UX, algorithms, distributed systems, storage systems, security and Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS) systems. We are also looking for various roles in the areas of support, sales, automation and QA.
Maginatics, Inc. seeks SW Engr. (Systems) to design, implement, and test file system and database components. Please mail resume to worksite: Maginatics, 888 Villa St., Ste. 210, Mountain View, CA 94041.
Technical Marketing Engineer
Maginatics is the fast-growing start-up focused on building massively scalable storage solutions for the distributed enterprise. We are currently looking for a Technical Marketing Engineer to join our growing Marketing team based in Mountain View, CA. If you are a high-achiever who wants to be part of a fast-paced, elite team that creates maximum impact, we want to talk to you!
As the Technical Marketing Engineer (TME) for Maginatics, you will ensure that our sales and channel teams have technical content and tools to successfully position, sell and deploy Maginatics storage solutions. The TME will collaborate with Systems Engineering, Product Management, Product Marketing, Sales, and Business Development team members to identify, prioritize, develop and evangelize the appropriate content. In addition you will be chartered with tracking changes in the competitive landscape and maintain updated competitive analysis of both our key and emerging competitors. You will also work with application and infrastructure partners to create, test and certify joint solutions and best practices. The role is based in Mountain, CA but may require some travel to work with customers, technology partners, sales and channel partners.
- Create tools such as performance toolkits, data collection and sizing tools, solutions and sizing guides, reference architectures, technical videos, white papers, and best practices guides, to help customers in deploying Maginatics storage solutions in their environment.
- Serve as a product expert, particularly to support complex deployments and scenarios
- Deliver technical presentations to customers and assist with sales efforts
- Create and deliver tools, guidelines and training content for sales engineers and partners related to positioning and deployment of Maginatics storage solutions
- Provide tactical assistance to sales engineers to enable Maginatics storage solutions to best compete in the market place
- Continually educate the field through email, webinars and other training sessions
- Understand the customer workflow for target use cases environments, identify the best fit for Maginatics solutions, and provide feedback to product management and engineering regarding potential improvement opportunities.
- Track and analyze the competitive landscape and market positioning of all competitors
- Perform detailed technical analysis of the strengths and weaknesses of competitive products through hands-on lab testing
- Develop and maintain competitive analysis including white papers, solution briefs, application notes, and presentations
Desired Skills & Experience:
- BS/MS in Computer Science/Engineering, plus 8 years of experience as a product engineer or a technical marketing engineer in the area of storage technologies, with overall 10 years of experience in the high-tech industry.
- Strong working knowledge of storage and backup architectures and topology (iSCSI, NAS & SAN)
- Experience developing storage sizing and performance guidelines and/or tools
- Strong working knowledge in virtualization technologies, cloud computing, and Windows administration.
- Good working knowledge of operating systems, particularly Windows, as well as Hypervisors including VMware, HyperV and Citrix.
- Working knowledge of file systems (SMB2, NFS, CIFS, NTFS) is desired.
- Ability to solve complex problems requiring in-depth evaluation, as well as identify problems in advance, and proposing solutions.
- Ability to independently set priorities, operate effectively and drive results without extensive supervision.
- Must be a proactive contributor, subject matter expert and an evangelist who is capable of influencing others by demonstrating leadership and subject matter expertise.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Good public speaking skills are desirable.
Please submit your application through email or LinkedIn.
Software Engineering Internship
Have a passion for working on complex, real-world distributed systems? Are you excited by the possibility of designing, implementing, and deploying something awesome in just 12 weeks? Our summer internship gives software developers like you the opportunity to put your passion to work!
During these 12 weeks, you will gain solid real-world experience from working on a large-scale distributed system and learning cutting-edge software development practices. What's more, you'll get a chance to see first-hand how fun and exciting a young small startup team is like: indoor climbing, go-karting, craft beer tastings, and in-office helicopter challenges are some of the things you can expect to be part of. All that while having a chance to spend your summer in the beautiful, sunny SF Bay Area!
If all these sound interesting to you, we'd love to hear from you! Typically, we expect our internship candidates to meet the following requirements:
- Current student in CS/EE/CSE or similar field
- Students in graduate programs are preferred, but we definitely consider strong undergraduate candidates
- Familiarity with at least one modern programming language (e.g. C++, Java, Python, Ruby)
- Basic knowledge of distributed systems concepts
Please submit your application through email or LinkedIn.
System Management Engineer
We are looking for engineers with previous experience in System/Device Management.
We expect candidates for the role to have a device management background and experience in automatic VM deployments in Amazon EC2 and/or VMware. Previous experience in building scalable, fault-tolerant distributed systems required. Expertise in building large scale virtual appliance deployments highly desired.
- Device management experience
- Ruby or Python language knowledge
- Experience with puppet / mcollective
- Experience with cloud provider APIs (AWS EC2, AWS S3, etc.)
- Previous work with the fog library
- Experience in managing VMware deployments (VMware SDKs, APIs, vCenter, vCloud Director, …)
- Previous work with the rbvmomi library
- General distributed system experience
- General enterprise grade software product development
- Monitoring tools (nagios, collectd, graphite)
Maginatics is looking for exceptional designers to join us in defining and building our product.
Our team is tenacious about good design and execution. We’re a small team so we look for people who have a broad range of skills, people who can contribute at every stage from concept to deployment. We believe in continuous improvement of our skills and of the product through iteration. Your portfolio should reflect these characteristics.
You receive high fives from friends and co-workers for your awesomeness at:
- Web design
- User experience design
- User interface design
- Graphic design
- Usability testing & heuristics
There are all sorts of designers, with different strengths across the range of skills required to ship great products, and we know that no one can be an expert in all of them, so just focus on showing us what you are especially good at.
Include in your application:
- Your resume
- Your portfolio, focusing on the highlights of your outstanding work with links to projects where you made a major contribution and an explanation of what you did
Sales Account Manager
Maginatics is seeking Account Managers for the Western, Eastern and Midwest US territories. As an Account Manager, you are responsible for selling Maginatics Products and Solutions directly to enterprise customers as well as through Technology Partners and Channel Partners and interacting directly with customers in your territory. You will also be working closely with a Sales Engineer in your territory.
Essential to success in this role is a finely-honed ability develop new accounts and to penetrate new divisions and organizations within your assigned accounts. Maginatics provides exceptional support and tools from across the company for you to leverage to exceed sales performance goals. In this position you would be working very closely with the co-founders and other senior company executives and have a large amount of influence on sales team decisions and initiatives.
- Develop new direct selling opportunities; use relationship management techniques to develop selling opportunities within partner organizations; penetrate new divisions and organizations and develop new selling relationships within existing partner and customer accounts
- Schedule and attend sales calls with prospects from enterprise and partner organizations
- Utilizing a consultative approach, discuss business issues with prospect and develop a formal quote, a written sales proposal or a formal sales presentation addressing their business needs
- Respond to RFP's and follow up with prospects
- Develop an account plan to sell to customers based on their business needs
- Build and strengthen the business relationship with current accounts and new prospects
- Recommend marketing strategies
- Provide status information to your manager including forecast/pipeline information
- Provide or facilitate training opportunities for your accounts
- Identify Maginatics customer references that can be utilized when reference selling
- Provide product feedback back to engineering to improve the Maginatics platform and solutions
- 3 to 10 years of sales experience, preferably with products or services that include one or more of the following elements: enterprise, storage, software, cloud
- Experience that demonstrates a strong level of expertise in technical specifications required to sell Maginatics products and services is required
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent experience
- Ability to communicate with senior executives of prospective customer and partner companies about their business challenges and Maginatics storage solutions
- Strong verbal and written communications skills including presentation skills
- Ability to work collaboratively with employees within the sales function and across functions including Marketing, Sales Operations, System Engineering and Product Development
- Experience with target account selling, solution selling, and/or consultative sales techniques
- An aptitude for understanding how technology products and solutions solve business problems as well as the competitive landscape
- Experience using SFDC and other CRM software
- Track record of exceeding assigned sales quotas in contiguous, multiple years
Support and Systems Engineering Lead
The Support and Systems Engineering Lead will be in charge of all technical support activities, both pre-sales and post-sales, for Maginatics. These include the following:
- Pre-sales support: staging demos, deployment support, design documents, assisting integration of Maginatics technology with customer environment both in pre-production and production environments
- Technical support: managing all levels of support (from initial triaging to troubleshooting and hand-off to engineering). The Support and Systems Engineering lead will act as the liaison between the customer and Maginatics engineering. This includes answering technical support inquiries from customers, triaging, troubleshooting, collecting and analyzing logs, tracking bugs and maintaining communication with the customer until resolution
- Thought leadership: the candidate will be in charge of creating collateral to drive company thought leadership and product consumption (examples are solution guides for specific applications and application environments, best practices documents, KB articles, product documentation, etc.)
- 5+ years of experience in a technical customer-facing role (systems engineer, support engineer or technical marketing engineer)
- Strong hands-on experience in storage, virtualization technologies, cloud computing, Windows administration.
- Strong system-level (rather than component level) knowledge
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent people skills with ability to handle pressure in case of customer escalations
- Bachelor's degree MCSE Certification desired
- This is a technical role, but ideally will grow in a leadership position, so management experience is desirable though not a must
QA Engineer / Manual Testing
- Designing comprehensive test plans for product features
- Executing test cases (including using automated tools), reporting defects and verifying fixes
- Setting up and maintaining testing environments for all supported platforms (Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, ESX, EC2, Android, iOS, etc.)
- Assessing the quality of product, identifying weak areas, effectively prioritizing tasks
- BS in Computer science or MS equivalent technical field of study
- 6+ years QA experience in software testing
- Familiarity with multiple platforms including Windows, Mac, Linux and mobile devices
- Experience in projects related to file systems
- Experience in projects related to virtualization
- Efficiency at multitasking
QA Engineer / Test Automation
A Test Automation Engineer will be responsible for developing and maintaining automated testing infrastructure.
- Component level and end-to-end level test automation, creating and maintaining frameworks and scripts
- Writing testplans and executing test cases
- BS in Computer science or MS equivalent technical field of study
- 4 years or more experience with test automation and scripting
- 2 year or more experience with web frameworks like Ruby on Rails
- 2+ years of experience with one or more of the following languages: Python, Ruby
- 4+ years of experience in scripting or programming using C or Java
- Experience with Selenium
- Experience in Release Management
We are seeking talented individuals who want to join an exciting startup. At Maginatics, there is no shortage of challenging problems to tackle, because building revolutionary products is never easy!
Not only will you be given surprising amounts of responsibility but you will work in a supportive, collaborative environment that encourages the open exploration of ideas. We welcome big thinkers and aspiring entrepreneurs who are unafraid to take on big challenges and interested in learning how to build a business in the process.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Maginatics conducts its employment practices in a manner that treats each employee and applicant for employment on the basis of merit and experience, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, marital status, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, national origin, or other classification protected by applicable law. In addition, consistent with Maginatics' culture and business need, employees are expected to treat each other with respect and dignity.